Figure out what type of marketing you want to do
“Marketing” is a very broad industry and there are tons of different things you could specialize in.Start marketing company, I’ll focus on things in the digital space since that’s what I’m most familiar with:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) –
- Copywriting –
- Paid Advertising –
- Email Marketing –
- Conversion Optimization –
and there’s more.
Learn and practice
Learn a skill like the few above and then practice them until you become good at it. There’s no rocket science here.
I usually recommend 2 options:
- Create a website (WordPress) and practice your skill on there until it’s good enough to show potential clients.
- Contact potential clients and offer your service in exchange for referrals if they like your work.
Once you’ve become good at a skill, don’t forget to improve on it or expand your skill set down the road. The more skills you’re good at, the more leverage you’ll have for opportunities.
Learn business, communication, and sales
A big part of a marketing company’s job is to communicate with clients and pitching to new ones.
This is a business and should be treated as such.
Business, communication and sales skills will give you a lot more leverage and benefit you best in the long run.
Technical skills change often, but business, communication, and sales skills are basically the same as they’ve always been.
Build relationships with people
This is one of my weakest areas but is very important. The more GOOD relationships you have, the more opportunities will come from that.
A few things I’ve used to help build relationships is:
- – For tracking email opens and being automatically reminded to follow-up if I haven’t received a response from them within a certain time period. I usually wait 7 days.
- Consistently comment on their blogs
- Retweeting on twitter with a reply about what they’ve tweeted.
- LinkedIn messages
- and a few other things that I’m forgetting
Create a blog
Blogging is a great way to display your expertise and is good for SEO. It can drive a lot of potential customers to your website if handled properly (read SEO guide above)
Write on Quora
Answering questions on Quora is a good way to establish credibility, help others, and possibly get potential customers.
Should you get a degree?
Only you can answer that.
Do you need a degree to become a very successful marketing company? Nope
Will a degree help? Maybe in the beginning for credibility purposes.
How can I start my own marketing company?
Seems like an obvious answer: use your marketing skills on yourself to demonstrate your expertise.
Here’s the list of things you may need to consider:
- Setup business sites: website, social channels, email, etc.
- Identify a target market, who you want to serve and why (the more specific the better)
- Talk to people in that market to see if they have needs you can fill (the other way around doesn’t work well…offering what you have as a solution prior to knowing the problem).
- Learn and understand the art of sales. Read books on the art, podcasts, practice your scripts/dialogs, and prospect like crazy.
- Put your money in the bank, don’t spend money you haven’t paid taxes on yet.
- Hire an assistant to help you with the things you don’t want to do (accounting, paperwork, admin, etc). Start with the one thing you can’t stand doing (unless it’s sales, that’s something you must always be willing to do).
- Give some of your stuff away for free to start out, to gain trust and references for future paid customers. Keep this as a small portion of your business model. Giving away things for free to build brand cache and to remind yourself that you have a soul.
- Build a business plan 1, 3, 5 year. Use a mastermind group to hold you accountable to the plan. Decide how big you want to become.
- Learn when to say no and when to say yes. Building a business is as much about who you serve as who you don’t serve. Do your best not to do too much of either or to sacrifice your beliefs/principles.
- Recognize that when you own your own business, you work half days. You get to decide which 12 hours to work, 7 days per week (84 hrs).
- It’s possible that the first 3–5 years of your journey might not generate the outcomes you expected. Be prepared to either basque in glow of success and avoid complacency, OR to pull up your undies and dig in to fight for your business survival. No one will remember your failures, they will only see that you succeeded or not.
Hope this helps. All the best in building a business that prospers.
Start marketing company today
Start marketing company,